NYC post - What are the chances I'd eat here?
When travelling there are many surprises.Dead car batteries,black eyes from insecure housemates I probably will never explain on this blog, and a spontaneous free press trip outline some of my surprises on my road trip this past summer. Travel is never without it's hiccups and unexpected fortunes, no matter how much you plan.
This is why it's one of the best, quickest, and most thorough ways towards self-improvement.
This is why it's one of the best, quickest, and most thorough ways towards self-improvement. Through travel you
- learn to live with immense uncertainty
- face your insecurities naked, no routine to hide behind
- practice conversing with strangers very quickly
- gain the ability to explore different parts of yourself, without lasting social consequences
And why I am pleased when one of these surprises falls on my path like a $20 bill with no owner in sight.
Today I ate pie next to Pop's Barber Shop on my way to the next couchsurfing host in Harlem.
I was walking over to wait for my host, who was coming back from teaching dance at a local middle school. "That place looks familiar," I thought.
It looks like Pop's Barber Shop...
As I finished up my pie and paid the lady at Cafe Latte, I asked "Where's Pop's barber shop from Luke Cage filmed."
"Oh just three doors down that way."
Suspicions confirmed! So I took pictures, got all excited, and sat down to write this post about:
- Surprises - check!
- The experience - check!
- And to remind you that travel can be done cheaply! I am spending a bit more for food than I used to in New Brunswick, about $30/per day, which is counter-balanced by Couch Surfing which negates the living costs.
I'll let you go readers. Unchain Yourselves™ to be more free in your life ;)